Ahoy! Are packages piling up on your doorstep? If so, keep an eye out for those porch pirates, matey. Don't be a scallywag and get ready to protect your booty!
What is porch pirating?
Porch pirating occurs when a package is stolen from the receiver's home.
How common is porch pirating?
According to researchers at Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute, 1.7 million packages are stolen or lost every day in the U.S. Around 40% of porch piracy occurs in apartments and multifamily communities.
How can you prevent porch pirating?
- Schedule an in-person delivery.
- If you're away from home, consider sending it to a trusted neighbor or family member who will be home.
- Insure your packages
- If your package is a high-value item, it's always a good idea to get it insured.
- Install a security camera
- Thieves are much less likely to offend when there's a visible security system. If it doesn't deter them away, you'll have the evidence to report it to the police.
- Track packages
- You can better prepare for a package's arrival by tracking your shipment and signing up for shipment alerts.
Sources: (CNBC, Nationaltoday.com, Valuepenguin.com)